The treatment of infertility with acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) dates back 2,000 years. These ancient, time-tested techniques improve fertility rates and supports a woman’s whole body, allowing for an unlimited potential for health, healing and childbearing.
Studies reported by the American Pregnancy Association suggest that the most effective fertility treatments involve a combination of acupuncture, herbal medicine, and traditional medical interventions. However, conception does sometimes occur without traditional medical interventions when acupuncture and herbal medicines are used alone. Researchers from Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York reviewed recent studies and concluded that acupuncture helps to:
- Increase blood flow to the uterus, which improves the chances of an ovum implanting on the uterine wall.
- Reduce anxiety and stress. The hormones that are secreted during stressful situations can significantly decrease fertility.
- Normalize hormone and endocrine systems that regulate ovulation, especially in women with polycystic ovarian syndrome.
- Positively affect the hypothalamic-pituitary-ovarian axis, which plays a key role in fertility.
- Regulate the menstrual cycle.
In 2008, the British Medical Journal published research that concluded acupuncture can be offered as a significant, clinically relevant adjunct to IVF, relaxing the uterus and increasing blood flow for the successful implantation of an embryo within the uterine lining.
An acupuncturist’s approach to fertility
According to the theories of acupuncture and TCM, infertility is caused by an imbalance of the body’s energy flow called Qi (pronounced “chee”) and blood affecting the healthy functioning of one or more of the organ systems. When the body’s energy and blood flow are circulating freely throughout the body, every cell, tissue and organ is properly nourished and can function well. Acupuncture and TCM can raise the fertility potential of women by improving the quality, quantity and balance of energy and blood flow.
Kidney Organ System
The release of an ovum is controlled by the kidneys. The kidneys also control the body’s growth and development. Healthy kidneys are required in order to have a healthy body, mind and pregnancy. If an imbalance exists within the kidneys, this can result in infertility. TCM and acupuncture can nourish and support overall kidney health.
Spleen Organ System
An adequate blood supply is required by a woman’s body to sustain a normal menstrual cycle, a growing fetus and a healthy pregnancy. Complications within the spleen can result in inadequate supply and imbalance of blood.
Liver Organ System
In order to conceive and have a healthy pregnancy, it is important to have a free flow of energy and blood throughout the body. The liver is in charge of facilitating this function. When it is out of balance, areas of the body will not receive the adequate energy and blood flow. The imbalance can lead to depression, anxiety, stress and increased possibility of infertility.
Acupuncture and TCM can improve blood circulation to promote a healthy flow of blood to the uterus.
Acupuncture and TCM provide a safe, effective, drug-free and natural approach to treating infertility and enjoying a healthy pregnancy. Here are a few reasons to try acupuncture and Traditional Chinese Medicine:
- An acupuncturist does not treat just signs and symptoms but instead activates the body’s natural healing potential by treating the root causes that have lead to the problem or disease.
- Acupuncture and TCM are completely natural. Drugs are never used.
- Acupuncture and TCM can be used to strengthen, support, and balance overall health and well-being, therefore can increase the effectiveness of other procedures.
Also consider acupuncture during your pregnancy and birth. According to the World Health Organization, acupuncture has been found useful for relieving labor pain, nausea, vomiting, and significantly reducing the duration of labor.
Schedule an acupuncture session with Dr. Diana Herr at the Summerville location to discuss how acupuncture and TCM can help you with fertility and have a happy, healthy pregnancy.
*Keep in mind the organs discussed above reflect Chinese medical theories and philosophies.
*Information collected for this article is from Acupuncture Media Works.